Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Eat! Eat!

Before this session started, I and my roommate took a trip to Vancouver. The weather was fine but a little colder than Toronto. There were trees everywhere compared to Toronto. However, Toronto is more convinient in terms of public transportation. We rented a car downtown because the skytrian didn't take us to where we wanted. Almost every part of Vancouver is being renewed for the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. The city is quite peaceful and beautiful.

One day I had a chance to meet some friends of my roommate. They are all older than me and yet still very funny and friendly. There were a couple of Thais and one Chinese. Having a conversation with them was like having a tough listening test! We all decided to have lunch in a Korean restaurant. Then we ordered about ten dishes and of course they ordered beers and alcoholic drinks because my roommate said that was her treat (hee hee). Well, as I'm not 19 yet, I was the only one who was having Pepsi. However, we had a great and long conversation during the lunch. When my roommate asked for the bill, she was repeatedly looking the bill again and again. We all thought that it was too expensive. Later on we found out that the waiter gave us the wrong bill which included only four meals. It was a really tasty and "cheap" lunch.

In the evening two of her friends said that they had some other things to do so there were only three of us. The one who was left, who was named Mar Liang, does not usually speak but sometimes makes a lot of jokes. Again, we agreed to have dinner in an all-you-can-eat Japanese BBQ house. It cost us 22$ per person which was not too cheap or expensive. At first, everything seemed to be very delicious and we kept ordering. Then, during the dinner, we started to feel very full and there were still many kinds of dishes that we had ordered. My roommate said if we couldn't finish everything that we ordered, they would fine us. It was supposed to be a wonderful dinner, but we ended up having trouble finishing many dishes. This sounds stupid, but we survived by eating, having a rest, having conversations and then eating........ . After that Mar Liang couldn't even make any jokes, since we all were very very full. This was a stupid and yet very funny experience in my life.

One beneficial thing is that I, having a shy personality, had overcome the shy problem to some extent through communicating and having conversation with others.

1 comment:

Don said...

At first, your post was making me hungry -- but then, as I kept reading, I sort of stopped being hungry again . . .

Couldn't you take out some of the food that you couldn't eat? I would have taken it home and kept it in the fridge.

I've never been to Vancouver, in fact, although I know a number of people who have gone there and not returned. It seems like people go and come back and say, "why am I in Toronto?"

I don't know. I like Toronto. But then I come from the U.S., originally, and I have lived in near Detroit and in Chicago, so Toronto seems like a good place to me.